Chos Malal - Patagonia of Valleys and Volcanoes
Chos Malal in the Mapuche language it means “Yellow Corral”
found in the North of Neuquén Province, 400 km from the city of Neuquén and 130km from Mendoza Province.
Take the “Ruta Nacional 22” to Zapala, which joins the “Ruta Nacional 40” going North.
The city of Chos Malal was the first established in the North of Neuquén, on the 4th August 1887.
Places to visit
The José Manuel Olascoaga museum, originally the IV Division Fort (held against the Indians) exhibits various personal objects (such as photographs and lithographs) belonging to the ex-Governor. Indigenous utensils , minerals, fossils and other items illustrate the working past of the area.
The “Luis Dewis” cultural centre (which housed the first school of the city), the historic house of Neuquén which contained the first Governor of Neuquén and the “Maria Auxiliadora” Church all provide interesting commentaries on life in the area.
Another attraction is the “Torreón” tower, a watchtower by the river where the Argentine army would maintain a vigil for the arrival of enemies. From their a panoramic view of the hills and rivers impresses the observer.
31 km from the city the “Ana María Biset” archeological museum exhibits the belongings found by the Pehuenche indians in the River Curi leuvú basin in the 18th century
Satellite photos of Chos Malal